Social media has become an integral part of our daily lives, and its influence continues to grow at a rapid pace. The rise of social media has revolutionized the way we communicate, connect, and share information with others.
With the ever-growing popularity of social media, businesses have also recognized the potential of this platform to reach and engage with their target audience. In this article, we will discuss some of the key social media statistics that highlight the growth and significance of social media platforms.
Let’s start off with some cool facts
Below is a quick snapshot of how social media demographics and usage is changing, which networks are winning and just how hooked consumers are on social.
- In 2023, there are estimated to be 4.89 billion total social media users worldwide.
- The average person bounces between seven different social networks per month.
- The amount of time internet users spend on social media is now higher than ever — 151 minutes per day.
- TikTok is the fastest-growing social network with a staggering 100% user growth rate between 2020 and 2022.
- The number of social media users worldwide grew by only 3% YoY from January 2022 to January 2023 (+137 million users.)
(Social) media buying statistics 💰
Although social ads may have a negative image among the general public, they are still highly efficient, and their impact is unavoidable.
Succeeding with social media advertising requires a strategic approach, and simply throwing your ads out there in the hope that they will work is not enough.
Although costly campaigns and consumers overlooking ads can pose challenges for brands, the advantages of social media advertising continue to accumulate.
- It's now projected that $130.5 billion of total social media ad spending will be generated through mobile by 2027.
- Social media recently overtook paid search as an advertising channel, growing 25% YoY and exceeding $137 billion (just edging out search’s $135 billion).
- Retargeting ads are the most-used among marketers, with 77% of B2B and B2C marketers alike saying they use retargeting as part of their Facebook and Instagram advertising strategies.
- Total spend on social media advertising is projected to reach $268 billion in 2023.
Facebook (still the 👑) statistics
Facebook continues to dominate the advertising realm, and deciding whether to prioritize it is a complex question that hinges on your specific Facebook analytics. The subsequent Facebook statistics can provide further insights into this matter.
- Marketers across the world utilize Facebook more than any other platform (93%), with Instagram coming in second (78%).
- As of Q4 2022, Facebook reigns as the world's largest online social network, boasting approximately 2.96 billion monthly active users.
- In the United States, 70% of adults use Facebook. On average, an American spends 33 minutes daily on Facebook.
- Based on accessible gender data, 56.6% of Facebook users are male, while 43.4% are female.
- Nearly a quarter of Facebook users in the United States are aged between 25-34.
Given the platform's extensive reach, it is no surprise that Facebook remains a popular choice among marketers. Furthermore, the growing average age of users implies that an increasing number of individuals are occupying high-level decision-making positions in their careers.
Instagram statistics 🤳🏻
In 2022, Instagram quietly surpassed 2 billion users, and brands are striving to amass more followers on the platform. Here are the key social media statistics for Instagram:
- Instagram reigns supreme when it comes to social selling, providing users with the finest in-app shopping experience, and offering marketers the highest return on investment for selling products.
- Among the total Instagram users, 61.2% are between the ages of 18-34.
- Reels account for 30% of the time users spend on Instagram.
- Instagram's engagement rates are four times greater than Facebook's (0.60% compared to 0.15%), but have been on a steady decline.
- In 2023, 29% of marketers intend to allocate more resources to Instagram than any other platform.
Once the favored social media site for influencers, Instagram is facing competition from the likes of TikTok, and its younger user base appears to be dwindling.
However, the platform's relatively high engagement rates, cutting-edge ecommerce features, and significant advertising expenditures suggest that Instagram's future is still promising.
Linkedin statistics 💼👔
LinkedIn has skillfully established its niche as the primary professional network. The platform presents a promising opportunity for B2B brands, and the rapid growth of its ad platform speaks for itself.
Here are some crucial LinkedIn statistics you should know:
- LinkedIn boasts more than 900 million members spread across 200 countries worldwide.
- The United States has the most significant user rate on LinkedIn globally, with an audience reach of over 199 million users.
- LinkedIn features over 58 million company profiles. 16.2% of LinkedIn users in the US log in to the platform daily (in comparison to 48.5% that log in monthly).
The platform shows no signs of slowing down, spurred on by widespread career changes over the last two years. Hint: If you're in B2B, it's an excellent time to improve your LinkedIn marketing efforts.
TikTok statistics 📱
The emergence of TikTok has revolutionized the social media landscape, especially for brands.
The platform's highly engaged user base, massive growth, and extensive usage present excellent opportunities for early adopters. Below are some intriguing TikTok statistics that every marketer should know.
- With over 1 billion active users worldwide, TikTok has become one of the most popular social media platforms globally.
- Users spend an average of 23.5 hours per month on the platform, making it the most frequently used social media app worldwide.
- TikTok's user base skews female, with women accounting for 54.1% of users (based on available gender data).
- The largest audience on the platform falls within the 18-24 age group, which accounts for 38.9% of
- TikTok's advertising audience. 78.9% of TikTok users are seeking entertaining and fun content on the platform.
At present, the platform is dominated by younger consumers and smaller influencers, but this may change in the near future.
For those already on the platform, monitoring TikTok analytics and learning how to reach your audience is critical.
YouTube statistics 🎥
As an effort to compete with emerging platforms like TikTok, YouTube, the second-largest search engine in the world, is making some big changes.
Check out the top YouTube statistics you need to know about.
- As of January 2023, YouTube has over 2.5 billion users worldwide, although the platform's active users decreased by 48 million in the past year.
- YouTube Shorts receives 30 billion daily views from users worldwide.
- According to the available gender data, 12% of YouTube users are males aged between 25-34, and 9% are females of the same age.
- Users spend approximately 19 minutes per day watching videos on
- YouTube, and nearly 90% of all visits come from mobile devices.
Even though there has been a slight decline in growth this year, YouTube still remains the go-to video-sharing platform for users. Marketers can benefit from posting more short-form, vertical content, such as Shorts, on the platform, especially since more users are accessing the app via mobile.
Social media video statistics 🔥
Video remains a beloved content format among audiences worldwide. It is a versatile and engaging medium that provides marketers with a high return on investment. Here are some recent social media video statistics to consider:
Out of all content types, 51% of people are more likely to share videos with their friends and family.
We are seeing the benefits of video marketing,
- with 87% of them stating that it has helped increase sales.
- Short-form videos provide the highest ROI for social media marketing strategies.
- In the US, video advertising spending is projected to increase from $67.16 billion in 2022 to $78.45 billion in 2023.
- Video is becoming an integral part of various marketing strategies across industries, but its format is evolving.
- Brands can improve their outcomes by producing short-form video content that is amusing or engaging.
Influencer marketing statistics 👧🏼👦
Collaborating with influencers has become a top-notch inbound marketing tactic. Check out these statistics on influencer platforms used by marketers, their goals, and future plans.
Influencer marketers benefit the most from Instagram, followed by YouTube and Facebook, in terms of ROI.
Among various channels, TikTok is the most prevalent choice for influencer marketing, with 56% of marketers using it.
The primary goals of partnering with creators for influencer marketing are to boost engagement, expand reach to new audiences, and strengthen communities.
In 2023, a significant 67% of marketers intend to increase their investment in influencer marketing campaigns.
Additionally, 63% of brands plan to leverage AI to launch their campaigns, with two-thirds of them using AI to identify suitable influencers.
As more marketers recognize the power of influencer marketing, it's becoming increasingly essential to incorporate it into your overall marketing strategy. The critical factor is to select the most suitable platforms and influencers for your brand, which can be achieved using the appropriate automation tools.